By Heidi Chun. The Chinese and Taiwanese governments also offer scholarships for Americans to study Mandarin overseas. These scholarships are available to U. S. citizens who hold at least a highschool degree. The China Scholarship Council grants beginninglevel Mandarin Chinese students the Chinese Government Scholarship for one to two years